Wednesday 3 August 2016

Inaugural Post

Hello, everybody. 

Well, I suppose I can call myself a philosopher, now. BA in philosophy, MA in philosophy, PhD candidate in philosophy. I am not trying to boast (1 Cor. 4:7). My point is that I think this is my calling. Therefore, I have met one of the main requirements for being a philosopher: opening a blog... logically. Furthermore, I noticed there are not many blogs dedicated to my academic fields, so I decided to open my own in order to fill this desperate need... 😛

Jokes apart, through this blog I plan to offer quotes and reflections on christian philosophy, philosophical theology, theology and related subjects. Theologically, this will be done from a Reformed confessional point of view (Three Forms of Unity); philosophically, from a classical theistic perspective (Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas [the A-TEAM!], the Reformed scholastics, etc.). Apologetically, well, for now I can only say that I like Gordon H. Clark. Of course, as a christian philosopher, my ultimate authority will be the Scripture, the Word of God. However, I will frequently interact with creeds and confessions, the Church Fathers, Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas, M. Luther, J. Calvin, J. Edwards, and many others. 

I would like to start by quoting Augustine: "It is a matter of no moment in the city of God whether he who adopts the faith that brings men to God adopts it in one dress and manner of life or another, so long only as he lives in conformity with the commandments of God. And hence, when philosophers themselves become Christians, they are compelled, indeed, to abandon their erroneous doctrines, but not their dress and mode of living, which are no obstacle to religion" (City of God, 19.19. I am indebted to Prof. Paul Helm for bringing to my attention this Augustinian passage in his blog). I think this description fits me quite well. 
Augustine of Hippo (354-430)
The greatest Church Father continues: "It is, of course, important also that he loves the truth and performs the duties of charity. For no one has to live a life of leisure in such a way that he takes no thought in the leisure for the welfare of his neighbour; nor ought he to be so active as to feel no need for the contemplation of God. The delight offered by a life of leisure must not consist in idle inactivity, but in the opportunity to seek and find the truth, so that everyone may make progress in this regard, and not jealously withhold his discoveries from others" (Ivi., Trans., R. W. Dyson). I hope that this blog may follow Augustine's directions in this regard.

So, to conclude. Thank you for reading my blog, and I hope it may profit you. 

Soli Deo gloria.

©